Monday, 24 October 2016

MIY Walkley - Hours 1 to 5

I should start by saying I have a bit of an Insta-crush on Wendy Ward, the designer of the Walkley and @thatwendyward on Instagram. She was one of the first people I came across when I joined Instagram and decided to make it the social media home of my stitching. She's an author, sewing teacher, effortlessly stylish, never looks like she's trying too hard and seems unshakeably friendly and welcoming.



So when I spotted her Walkey pattern free with a magazine I was pretty excited. Not only because I think she's great, but because the pattern is exactly the kind of thing I'm happiest wearing. It's a loose but slim fitting t-shirt, which can be hip length or a knee length dress. Since I had some jersey fabric (bought when I was pregnant, with the very good intention of sewing some maternity wear) languishing at home, this pattern and my stash looked to be a match made in heaven.

Another confession: the reason that fabric had stayed uncut for years is that I've never sewn with knits and it's always seemed way too daunting. Especially at a point where I'm still struggling with wovens and basic skills. Bouyed up by the Internet (Wendy and Tilly from Tilly and the Buttons both have some great advice)  and grounded by the knowledge that, if I'm serious about sewing a wearable wardrobe, knits are bound to feature pretty heavily, I decided to take a deep breath and crack on. 

I began by tracing the pattern and started to lay out my fabric. And here I hit my first issue. I don't know if it was the fabric I was using (cheap off eBay, lightweight and prone to cling to itself) or my handling but I really struggled to find the grain and get it laying straight. I literally spent hours at the kitchen table tweaking it. Eventually the evening wore on and since the table needed to be clear for breakfast (damn you lack of dedicated sewing space) I needed to stop tweaking and cut - no time for the couple of hours 'rest' Tilly prescribes for knits. I'm fairly sure I unsettled it more by pinning on the pattern and lifting the fabric to cut it with my scissors.




All the same I ended up with two, roughly similar pattern pieces. The good news was that I'd managed to get the stripes positioned in the same place on both pattern pieces, so pattern matching them along the sides was a go. The bad news was that the pieces were only vaguely symmetrical. Those issues I'd had getting the fabric to lay straight had come back to haunt me, leaving me with a wonky neckline and one mishapen armscye (isn't that a great word?!). I broke my rotary cutter out and did my best to trim up the mess.



The next night I tacked the pieces together and tried it on, for the husband to declare the dress 'a good cut' on me (he knows nothing about sewing, but is a tireless cheerleader!). I'd geared up my sewing machine with a brand new walking foot and jersey needle and I was ready to sew. Until I was stopped in my tracks by my slapdash approach one more time. I've never bothered tightening in my needles with a screwdriver, I've always just done it by hand. But with the extra vibrations from the walking foot, the screw was just working loose and my needle kept dropping out! Lesson learnt - I broke out the screwdriver and gave everything a good twist. After that using the walking foot and my machine's stretch stitch the basic seams went pretty smoothly.


Feeling confident I decided to try one more new skill out on this project and have a go with a double needle round the neckline. Trying the keep the top stitching straight must have been a step too far. Even though I'd done well letting the walking foot set the pace for the seams, on the neck I started pulling it through from behind like I was making curtains. The neck, which had previously been a nice boat line, flattering but not too wide, now practically qualified as off the shoulder!


The Walkley is a pretty forgiving pattern though, and even with all my mishandling it doesn't look a fright once it's on. Plus for a beginner I'm pretty happy with how those stripes match up. Up close they're a smidge off, but you can't see it from any distance. It's flattering and super comfy and I'll definitely be making more - the t-shirt version has wardrobe staple written all over it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment